The premise of #MenageMonday is an interesting one. Cara Micheals over at Defiantly Literate (don’t you just love the name of Cara’s blog!!) does this flash fiction challenge pretty much every Monday. I have never participated because I tend to remember about the contest on Tuesdays, but I was asked to be a judge a few weeks ago for Week 28. The rules are simple and completely stolen (read: copied and pasted) from Cara’s site…
- This is a Flash Fiction challenge. Your story must be a minimum of 100 words, maximum of 200 words.
- Incorporate each of the three prompts into your story.
- Post your story into the comments of this post.
- Include your word count (or be excluded from judging).
- Please include your Twitter handle or email.
- The contest opens at 7 A.M. and closes at 8 P.M. Eastern Time.
- Generally speaking, the winner will be revealed Tuesday evening, huzzah!
So what do you get for all your time and effort, you ask? Badges, of course. (What, you thought this was a funded operation?) #MenageMonday awards THREE (squeeee!) badges each week:
- There is the undisputed CHAMP. Rather self explanatory.
- There is the JUDGE’S PET, for best use of the Judge’s prompt.
- Last but not least, the JUDGE gets a badge, because Judges need love, too.
So what were the prompts you might ask?
The Phrase: “too much damage” (this can appear anywhere in the story)
The Judge’s Prompt: pretending (theme)
In the end, I had to judge all of the submissions, which was loads of fun! If you’re interested in reading the submissions, you can find them here in the comments section. If you’re interested in learning who I choose as winners in each of the categories, you can find that information here.
And in case you’re interested in taking part, #MenageMonday happens just about every Monday!